Tuesday, September 2, 2008

On The Road Again














Turning out of our driveway on Man O' War (click on any photo to enlarge)


We're off on our big trip to the West and I'm so excited! After a week in Louisville at the show and a week of madness in Lexington wrapping things up at home so that we could pack Mary and leave today I am worn out! It has been a great two weeks though. John's induction into the Hall of Fame on the 23rd was wonderful and he was so happy to have Jason and Jennifer there to share it with him. I'll have a photo of the presentation soon. Last week a good friend threw a dinner party in his honor, we attended a fun birthday party and we had a terrific time with friends at Azur and in between all of the fun we got lots of stuff done for the trip. And on Tuesday we picked up Ransom!


















Passing by the Lexington Airport mural on the corner of Man O' War and Highway 60.


John brought Mary from the farm to the townhouse last night and we packed her up. I under estimated how long that process would be. Somehow I managed to get about half packed in every area (office, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen) so when it came time to haul the stuff to the coach I just didn't have anything ready. I have a thing about leaving the house very clean and things organized before we go for any length of time so as I'm packing I'm also cleaning and laundering and polishing and paying bills and doing accounting and...you get the picture. Once Mary was parked outside of the house I realized just how much I had to do so I ramped it up and moved into fast forward perpetual motion. Breezy knows me well enough that when I get like that she just curls up in a safe place and watches. Ransom, our new dog (more about him in a minute) is new to my behaviors and since we have had him he has been on my heels where ever I go. He got a real work out following me around yesterday and this morning. Finally we got everything loaded, all errands done, the house buttoned up and on the road this morning at 10:00.














Ransom hanging out between the pilot and co-pilot's seats
Ransom is absolutely the happiest little dog ever! I can't think of a dog that I've been around that is any happier to just be alive than this one. As I'm typing this John is over at the show watching the All American Futurity, Breezy is sacked out on her bed and Ransom is sleeping right by my feet. As I mentioned in my last post he was a participant in the Death Row Dogs program in Greenville, Kentucky. The local Humane Society picked 20 dogs to participate. The dogs are assigned to inmates at the prison to train in basic obedience. The inmates are screened carefully to be sure that the dogs are not in any danger and the nice lady who runs the Humane Society in Muhlenburg County runs classes to teach the inmates how to train the dogs. Consequently we got a sweet, polite, happy little dog that knows how to do all of the basics including walking on a loose leash. Breezy hasn't mastered that one yet! And he passed the AKC Good Citizen's test to boot! They think he is a Chihuahua/Feist (type of Rat Terrier) cross. He looks like a very long legged Chihuahua with beautiful big brown eyes and the cutest face. He has one ear that lays over and one that stands up. We decided that if people ask what breed he is we will tell them that he is a very rare breed called an Uno Lop. He is just a great little guy and has adopted both of us and Breezy as his family.




You're probably wondering how Breezy is adjusting to having a new dog in the house. Well, we took her with us to pick him up and they were introduced at the shelter. She heard all the dogs barking and freaked out, probably thinking that we were going to leave her there so she didn't pay much attention. I picked Ransom up and put him in my lap to ride for awhile until he relaxed. She sat in the back seat eyeing him curiously. Once we got home they did their dog thing, checking each other's scents. Then for 24 hours they were great! She played with him, running and playing and rolling together on the living room floor. At about the 24 hour mark it must have set in that he wasn't just visiting. We started to get a little attitude from her...a little pouting and an occasional growl if he decided to play with a toy that she deemed as hers. I separated them at meal times so there were no food issues. Treat time is easy because they both know that they have to sit politely if they want treats. I get the very best manners at treat time. For the most part she has done really well. I see little dust ups now again but they have spent a great deal of time racing up and down the hallway, rolling around on the carpeting together and generally having a great time. When its time to go outside to take care of business I put them both on their leashes and they have been great about not getting too tangled up together but occasionally circling me and tying me up in a knot. We only had one mishap and that was yesterday when I was talking to my sister on the phone. They were playing under the desk as I talked. As they were playing Ransom got tangled in the little wires that go to the little speakers that are hooked to my laptop. I didn't notice until I saw both speakers moving toward the edge of the desk. One hit the floor and then the other and Ransom jumped pulling the desk lamp toward the edge of the desk. I could see his panic so I said, "Ransom stop!" He froze. I was shocked that he listened to me that well under the circumstances. I untangled him and he escaped with Breezy to the safety of the living room where he went back to romping and rolling with her.



We are on our way to Indianapolis to the Futurity show for two days. It is hot. No, hot doesn't quite describe it. It is miserable out. The lawn is crispy, the sun is scorching and there isn't a breath of air moving outside. We are both ready for some cool weather up in the northern part of the country. At the moment our plan is to go to visit a farm in Tremont, Illinois on Thursday, stop in Rock Island for the night, head north to La Crosse, Wisconsin and then hit I-90 to Sioux Falls, Rapid City and then on to Jackson, Wyoming. We really wanted to fit in a visit to Glacier National Park but we have been counting days and we're not sure if we can fit it in. Stay tuned.

Later:

We are at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. John squeezed Mary in between two coaches in the RV Park (a narrow strip of grass with hookups) and padlocked the bikes to the chain link fence...this isn't the nicest neighborhood in the world. We are so close that we can hear our neighbors fart (and fight). Ransom is adjusting to strange noises outside of the coach. At first he was a little alarmist about all of it but he is so smart that he learned to take cues from Breezy. Any time he does something that she knows is a no-no in our house she lies down and puts her chin between her front feet on the floor like, "Oh crap, he's gonna get in trouble for that one." Now keep in mind that we have never lifted a hand to her. We have barely ever raised our voices to her. But she is a Border Collie and where they seem really different from all other dogs is that they have a very strong...almost over the top sense of responsibility to do things the way that we want them done. She takes the rules of the house (which are not many) very seriously. It is very funny to watch her when he makes a boo boo. I gently say "Ransom no," or "Ransom get down," and he responds to my request...then so does she. She is being a patient wonderful big sister to him and they keep each other company when we are gone to the show. Nothing has been disturbed in the coach at all when we get back. But there is always one warm spot on the couch and one warm spot in the co-pilot's seat when we come in and two dogs sitting by the door to eagerly greet us. I won't tell if you don't...

That's all I have for the first post. Thankfully no mishaps with Mary or the car on this short trip. I'll write more once we get on the road for real!

1 comment:

krs911 said...

Hi John and Karen, It's Kelly Shepard-well now Preston aka the other Kelly Bean. If you don't remember, I worked for Johnny over 10 years ago, and saw your blog and thought I would say hello. Angie and I ran into AJ at the Boone County Fair and told him to tell you hi! I am glad you are doing so well, you look happy and the traveling suits you! Enjoy your travels!